Under InnoDb, you could use file-per-table which would have
significantly reduced the inter-dependencies..  given the large data
size and heavy I/O you report, it might be a wise way to go.

 - michael dykman

--
 - michael dykman
 - mdyk...@gmail.com

"May you live every day of your life."
    Jonathan Swift

Larry's First Law of Language Redesign: Everyone wants the colon.