The query cache lays at the server level, above individual engine
implementations, and thus affects all of them.

It (case-sensitively!) compares the current query with the queries in the
query cache, and if there's an EXACT match (including all parameter
positions, wheres, and whatnot), it returns the data immediately, thus
saving you the parse and execute steps. That's a lot of benefit, given that
you run the same identical query lots of times.

There will of course be some extra overhead when you enable it, but unless
you have some sort of data mining application that only executes every
individual query once and only once, you'll reap the benefits of it.