I have tried that many times over and have found no way to get it to work,
keep getting unexpected T_Variable and I cannot find out whats wrong with
what you sent.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Dykman [mailto:mdyk...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 3:49 PM
To: James Coffman
Cc: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Re: MySQL being hacked with commands through URL

The bits in your date_format call are confusing your sprintf call
"date_format(updated, '%W, %M %D, %Y %r' )"

elseif ($pageID == "ss" && $item != "mostCurrent") {
       $newsSql = sprintf("SELECT date_format(updated, '%W, %M %D, %Y
%r' ) as byline, successId, title, story, picpath, staffID FROM
success WHERE successId='%s'",
       mysql_real_escape_string($item));
       mysql_query($newsSql);
}

This should get you around it:

$sid = mysql_real_escape_string($item)
$newsSql = "SELECT date_format(updated, '%W, %M %D, %Y %r' ) as
byline, successId, title, story, picpath, staffID FROM success WHERE
successId='$sid'",

$rs = mysql_query($newsSql);

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 4:33 PM, James Coffman <webmas...@cadc.com> wrote:
> I have narrowed the problem down to the code as I have been referenced to
a million times and I thank you all a million times over on helping me out
thus far.  Here is where it gets down to the hard part for me (PHP code)..

> The error is within:
>
> elseif ($pageID == "ss" && $item != "mostCurrent") {
>        $newsSql = "SELECT date_format(updated, '%W, %M %D, %Y %r' ) as
byline, successId, title, story, picpath, staffID FROM success WHERE
successId= $item";
> }
>

> So I have done some research and found that it needs to be structured
somewhat as such:

> elseif ($pageID == "ss" && $item != "mostCurrent") {
>        $newsSql = sprintf("SELECT date_format(updated, '%W, %M %D, %Y %r'
) as byline, successId, title, story, picpath, staffID FROM success WHERE
successId='%s'",
>        mysql_real_escape_string($item));
>        mysql_query($newsSql);
> }
>
> I cannot seem to get the problem narrowed down with this though.  As you
see I am trying to impliment the "mysql_real_escape_string" but I am
unfamiliar with how to integrate it into code that I did not write.  Is
there anyone out there that may have some insight to this problem?

-1%20union%20all%20select%201,2,concat(username,char(58),password),4,5,6%20f
>> rom%20users-- .
>>
>> I have been searching on the web for a solution/fix to this issue and I
>> cannot seem to find one.  The command above is showing all usernames and
>> passwords (in hashes) and I am not comfortable with that at all!  Is
there
>> anyone out there that may be able to help or may be able to point me in
>> the
>> direction that I need to go in order to correct this issue?
> Looks like a SQL injection attack.  You should always filter any input
> from the web to accept only those characters and conditions which are
> reasonable for that list.
>
> In perl you should also either $dbh->quote($inputString) or use the '?'
> place holder mechanism.
> For example if I'm expecting a page number (or other whole number) from
> form variable PAGEID I do something like this.
>
> ($pid) = $q->param('PAGEID') =~/(\d+)/;  Basically it will only accept
> 0-9s as input.   Hope this helps.
>

> How do you have your database server setup?  How are the commands being
> passed to the database?
>

> SOURCE IP FROM HEADER:
> *Please block this account's access to the     *
> *internet until its cleaned up.  We are basing *
> *this on an analysis of the header NOT the FROM*
> *address.                                      *
> ------
> William R. Mussatto
> Systems Engineer
> http://www.csz.com
> 909-920-9154
>

> --

 - michael dykman
 - mdyk...@gmail.com

"May you live every day of your life."
    Jonathan Swift

Larry's First Law of Language Redesign: Everyone wants the colon.