What kind of queries are being run and what type of data is stored?

There are a number of factors which causes MySQL to use on disk temporary
tables instead of in memory tables. (If there a BLOB or TEXT columns in the
table for example).

As a starting point you could (if you have the memory in your box) try
increasing the values for tmp_table_size and max_heap_size, these control how
large an in-memory temp table can grow before it is converted to an on disk
temp table.

Regards
John

John Daisley

MySQL 5.0 Certified Database Administrator (CMDBA)
MySQL 5.0 Certified Developer
Cognos BI Developer

Telephone: +44(0)1283 537111
Mobile: +44(0)7812 451238