Is that a Red Hat gcc? There was a famous version they put out with 7.0
that's broken for a lot of things - but I don't recall the gcc version
number.

I've compiled MySQL just fine with gcc version 2.95.2 on Debian (aside from
MySQL needing some help finding zlib). If you go to gnu.org and download
their latest stable gcc, that will also quite automatically compile and
install on most systems in just a few steps (and a lot of waiting on your
CPU during the compile). Can solve problems from using distro gcc's
sometimes, and you can keep two gccs on a system just by setting up a gcc
symlink, in case you have reason to switch back.

Whit