Thanks all for the feedback. Here's what i did:

select p.id_prog,count(r.id_event) e from programas p left join(events r)
on(p.id_prog=r.id_prog) group by r.id_event

This gives me a list of all the distinct progs with a count of how many
events on each. I then delete the empty ones.

It would be nice to be able to delete the empty ones on the same query.

MV