This error may be caused by applications that don't close their connections
when they finish.  The session stays open until the timeout.  If this
becomes a problem, look at the various applications running on your system.
You might be able to program them better, to either close their connections
or reuse a connection.

If you run "show processlist" you will probably find a lot of processes in
"Sleep" state.  You can write a script to run regularly that will kill any
process that is sleeping longer than a certain minimum amount of time.  That
way you won't hit your max connections and prevent others from logging in.
I did this recently when a rogue process was opening sessions and leaving
them open.  I ran the script, selected those processes run by that user
against that database that were in "Sleep" state, and killed them dead.
This fixed the problem untili we were able to track down the rogue processes
and fix it.

Jim

--
Jim Lyons