Silly me sees that there is an 'expire_log_days' in the my.cnf

But again, if i was to purge everything but the last day or 2... running
this command i found:

PURGE BINARY LOGS BEFORE DATE_SUB(NOW(), INTERVAL 2 DAY);

>From the MySQL command line, will this be ok?

Steve.

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Staples [mailto:sstap...@mnsi.net]
Sent: January 6, 2010 2:35 PM
To: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Binary Logging

Good afternoon.

I am having a weird problem with the Binary Logging of my MySQL.

For some reason, we have it on (still not sure why) but when i look in the
/var/log/mysql/ folder, the oldest file is from the 2009-12-27.   The MySQL
service has not been restarted since the server came back up 150 days ago.
So somehow, they have been purged in the past, but i don't see a cron that
would have done it?

Anyway, my question is, is that I am currently moving data around, splitting
it into multiple tables, so there are TONNES of queries taking place, doing
inserts and such, and now I am up to 93GB in this folder.

I am starting to worry about running out of space on the harddrives, and we
have been talking about doing a master/slave setup, and from what I've read,
you need the binary logs on for replication?

Is this true?  Should I keep them, or can i ditch them, and will it
re-create them when we do go to a master/slave setup?

Once i finish moving data around, i can remove the old tables that i am
moving them out of, so I don't really see a huge issue with dumping them, i
just want to make sure.

Thanks in advance!

Steve Staples.

02:35:00