Yes it won't allow except 1 connection for root user.
We have to monitor the MySQLD server and the queries runnning at that time.
As of now, increase the key_buffer_size to 64 or 128 mb according to your
indexes created and physical memory available.
and query_cache_size is purely depends on the queries that your application
hits the database.

--
Thanks
Suresh Kuna