On Jan 13, 2010, at 1:28 PM, Lawrence Sorrillo wrote:

> The issue is that in theory this should work given the facts announced by
> MySQL regarding binary logging and replication.
> I can certainly do it the way you propose, but to my mind I should also be
> able to do it using the fact that both machines are fully synced and hence at
> that point I should be able to to local respective dumps and restores and
> still be in sync.
>
> Anyone knows anything special about position 106? It seems to be the very
> initial position in MySQL 5.1 servers?

It's not. 4 is still the initial position, as shown by the "at 4" in your
mysqlbinlog output below. The 106 that you observe is the position *after* the
server writes the initial event to the binary log. It writes this event
immediately after opening the file, even before executing any statements.

If you want the gory details: This event is the format description event that
identifies in the binary log file the server version and other information. See
http://forge.mysql.com/wiki/MySQL_Internals_Binary_Log#Binary_Log_Versions if
you have a high tolerance for pain. :-)

> mysql> show master status;
> +-------------------+----------+--------------+------------------+
> | File              | Position | Binlog_Do_DB | Binlog_Ignore_DB |
> +-------------------+----------+--------------+------------------+
> | XXXXX-bin.000001 |      106 |              |                  |
> +-------------------+----------+--------------+------------------+
> 1 row in set (0.00 sec)
>

> r...@xxxx:/usr/local/mysql/data ] /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqlbinlog
> mssdb2-bin.000001
> /*!40019 SET @@session.max_insert_delayed_threads=0*/;
> /*!50003 SET @OLD_COMPLETION_TYPE=@@COMPLETION_TYPE,COMPLETION_TYPE=0*/;
> DELIMITER /*!*/;
> # at 4
> #100113 13:50:40 server id 5  end_log_pos 106   Start: binlog v 4, server v
> 5.1.42-log created 100113 13:50:40 at startup
> # Warning: this binlog is either in use or was not closed properly.
> ROLLBACK/*!*/;
> BINLOG '
> ABZOSw8FAAAAZgAAAGoAAAABAAQANS4xLjQyLWxvZwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
> AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFk5LEzgNAAgAEgAEBAQEEgAAUwAEGggAAAAICAgC
> '/*!*/;
> DELIMITER ;
> # End of log file
> ROLLBACK /* added by mysqlbinlog */;
> /*!50003 SET completion_ty...@old_completion_type*/;
> r...@xxxx:/usr/local/mysql/data ]
>
> ~Lawrence
>

> Tom Worster wrote:
>> Frankly, I didn't entirely understand what you were proposing. I got lost
>> around step 6.
>>
>> Is the issue total time for the procedure or service downtime?
>>

>> On 1/12/10 12:58 PM, "Lawrence Sorrillo" <sorri...@jlab.org> wrote:
>>

>>> This is two upgrades done in sequence(the reload takes about three hours
>>> per machine) . I can do what I am proposing in parallel.
>>>
>>> Do you see it as problematic?
>>>
>>> ~Lawrence

> --

Paul DuBois
Sun Microsystems / MySQL Documentation Team
Madison, Wisconsin, USA
www.mysql.com