you can specify the character encoding (called CHARSET in mysql) and
collation on a per column, per table or per database level. e.g.

CREATE DATABASE foo CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;

or

CREATE TABLE foo ( ... ) CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;

or

CREATE TABLE foo (
bar varchar(128) CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci NOT NULL);

mysql's default character encoding is latin1.

for mysql's collations, see: http://www.collation-charts.org/

i wouldn't use utf8 indiscriminately, only for columns that need it --
indexes need 3 bytes per character on utf8 columns. (utf16 would be better
in that regard!)

don't forget to set session system variables, e.g. using SET NAMES or with
your api.