Seung-woo,

I understand the point you are making, a stored procedures is a group of queries that
can be executed together like a function.  As you have said "if you can [write] SQL
and Perl programs, you could write a
function that works like stored procedures in MS SQL server or Oracle".

My issue is stated in the first paragraph of chapter 15 of the MySQL manual:

In MySQL, you can define a procedure in C++ that can access and modify the data in a
query before it is sent to the client.

What you have suggested is writing my own function which acts like a stored procedure.
 But the very part I am trying to accomplish is the part which writing my own function
does not address, and that is to have
the  data access and modified before it is sent back to the client.

Thanks for you response, though!  Any little bit helps!

John

Hi:
You will need DBI, DBD::mysql modules. I think you have some
misunderstanding about what stored procedures are. A stored procedure is
just a group of queries that can be executed together like a function in
Perl or C/C++. So if you can wirte SQL and Perl programs, you could
write a function that works like stored procedure in MS SQL server or
Oracle. The only difference is that those big database systems have
built-in facilities that let you write those functions without a help of
other programming languages.
I hope this helps.
Seung-woo Nam
John Tsangaris wrote:

> Do you know exactly what the package name is?
>
> I have searched cpan and have found nothing dealing with stored procedures.
>
> Here is what the mysql manual has for procedures:
>

>http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_Adding_procedures.html#Adding_procedures

<http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_Adding_procedures.html>

> As you can see, it uses only c++.
>
> Do you have any other resources regarding stored procedures in perl?
>
> I'm a mid level engineer (not an expert, not a beginner) but I have never
>contributed to any open source projects before.
How