On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 12:21 AM, Daevid Vincent <dae...@daevid.com> wrote:

>  * at
>  * /etc/crontab
>  * /var/spool/crontabs/root
>  * /var/spool/crontabs/joeblow
>  * /etc/cron.d/
>  * /etc/cron.daily/
>  * /etc/cron.hourly/
>  * /etc/cron.monthly/

That entire list represents exactly two tools: at and crontab. Allright,
three if you wanna be anal about it: anacron. At and Cron are also different
tools: at does one-time scheduling, while cron handled repeated scheduling.

> Unless I'm missing some killer functionality this provides (and from that
> URL, I'm not seeing any), then I wish the Sun/mySQL team would have spent
> their precious time on more pressing features and or bug-fixes such as this
> one that is now FOUR YEARS old... (that is erroneously marked as 'feature
> request'!)

Except for the very very very useful "is automagically included in backup
(and possibly replication)" that Joerg already mentioned (that was the
second thing I thought of), there is also the ability to schedule by the
second, whereas cron can only schedule by the minute, and at doesn't handle
repeating events.

Yes, I can definitely see the use in this. If you can't, then just ignore
it.

--
Bier met grenadyn
Is als mosterd by den wyn