And, IF the application uses the file a lot, but opens it infrequently, for
example an MySQL data file, then the incremental cost is truly neglectable.

IF the symlink is looked up and followed frequently then caches will make it
neglectable.

IF the application touches a wide range (hundreds of thousands) of symlinks
frequently and performs very little actual access work (small files), then
there will be a potential significant overhead.