hi,
  This post( http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=48929 ) shows that If
the number of opened file grows too big, mysql will get error.
I'm also confused by the difference & relationship between "open
table" and "open file descriptor" by the table cache.
  As far as I understand, when a thread ask the global cache for a table:
* if the table is opened before and currently not used by other
thread, the request thread will get this table
* if no table in table cache is available( currently used by other
thread, or not opened before ), the request thread will open this
table
  Once open a table, mysql *might?( I'm not sure )* open a file
descriptor corresponding to the data file of the table. In that case,
when the number of  table opened simultaneously goes too big, mysql
will use too much file descriptors and then hit the bug 48929.

  Your experience( "I've had one occurrence where it grew to 26.000
open tables" ) seems to show there must be something wrong with my
understanding, Hmm...  :-(