Hi,

The problem of BLOB storage with MySQL is not the actual storage of the BLOB
data, it is the getting BLOBs to and from the client. Traditionally MySQL
treats the BLOB data as any other data and as a result there can be major
memory usage and performance issues as the BLOB is passed back to  the
client app. This is why no matter how clever the storage engine is in how it
stores the BLOB, the main problem remains.

That is why the BLOB streaming daemon was developed because it allows the
actual BLOB data to be streamed to and from the database server outside of
the normal MySQL client/server connection.

So you can have the best of both worlds:

- Similar to storing the BLOB in the file system: BLOB references are stored
with the normal table data, not the actual BLOB data, so the tables do not
get bloated, and because the BLOB data is accessed through the BLOB
streaming daemon it has little impact on server performance and memory
requirements are not dependent on BLOB size.

- Similar to traditional storage of BLOBs in tables: the BLOB will
automatically be delete when the row referencing it is deleted and the
application designer doesn't need to implement their own file system based
BLOB storage.

So if you are looking at BLOB storage systems please have a look at

 http://www.blobstreaming.org

or the launch pad project:

 https://launchpad.net/pbms (not pbxt as Paul mentioned.)

Sorry if this is a bit of a plug for PBMS but the subject was BLOB storage
and that is PBMS's sole purpose in life.

Barry

On 2/16/10 8:21 AM, "Martin Gainty" <mgai...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> i agree with jerry
>

> put date/timestamps on each record..(that way you know when the record was
> created/modified)
>
> Martin Gainty
>
> Diese Nachricht ist vertraulich. Sollten Sie nicht der vorgesehene Empfaenger
> sein, so bitten wir hoeflich um eine Mitteilung. Jede unbefugte Weiterleitung
> oder Fertigung einer Kopie ist unzulaessig. Diese Nachricht dient lediglich
> dem Austausch von Informationen und entfaltet keine rechtliche
> Bindungswirkung. Aufgrund der leichten Manipulierbarkeit von E-Mails koennen
> wir keine Haftung fuer den Inhalt uebernehmen.

> destinataire prévu, nous te demandons avec bonté que pour satisfaire informez
> l'expéditeur. N'importe quelle diffusion non autorisée ou la copie de ceci est
> interdite. Ce message sert à l'information seulement et n'aura pas n'importe
> quel effet légalement obligatoire. Étant donné que les email peuvent
> facilement être sujets à la manipulation, nous ne pouvons accepter aucune
> responsabilité pour le contenu fourni.
>

>> From: jschwa...@the-infoshop.com
>> To: vikkiatb...@yahoo.in; vegiv...@tuxera.be
>> CC: mysql@lists.mysql.com
>> Subject: RE: how things get messed up

Barry Leslie

SNAP Innovation Softwareentwicklung GmbH
Senior Software Engineer

Tel: (001) 250 595 4228
Fax: (001) 250 595 4233
Email: barry.les...@primebase.com
Web: www.PrimeBase.com

SNAP Innovation Softwareentwicklung GmbH, D-22765 Hamburg,
Max-Brauer-Allee 50, Germany
Amtsgericht Hamburg HRB 61066, Geschäftsführer: Ulrich Zimmer, Paul
McCullagh