I was wondering what would be considered "unusually high" for the # of connections to a MySQL Server? Also, if a high number of these are in "sleep" mode,does it make a difference?

We have a web site (a few, actually) and MySQL (Version 5.0.67-community-nt-log) running on a WS08 server, and several times now, we have basically had the web site "crash" on us. One tech thought that it may be the # of connections. I have seen between 100 to 125 connections or so at one time 98% of them all from the same user. This is from our asp.net web application that we're using for testing. The app basically becomes unresponsive, but I'm not 100% convinced that this is a MySQL problem. The site does not even seem to be serving up pages when it gets into this "mode".

Also, there are other web sites on this same server (not being used a lot at all), and these sites all seem to come up just fine. There are no connection issues with the pages or with the data in those applications.

My main questio is this. Is 100 to 125 unusually high? I have implemented a connection pool into my connection string in hopes that this will resolve the problem. Here is that string:

uid=usernamer;password=password;Server=127.0.0.1;port=3306;Database=mydatabase;Allow Zero Datetime=true;pooling=true; max pool size=10; min pool size=3

Someone else suggested this string, but after implementing it and re-starting the server, we still had the same problem. My plan is to move the app to a WS03 server tonight in hopes that the issue is the O/S.

Can anyone fill me in?

Thanks,
Jesse