Hi,

Lets see If I can help.

Overly long queries (transactions
>  in general) are bad for performance as a lot of unpurged versions
> accumulate.
>
> In this sentence, I don't know the meaning about 'unpureged version
> accumulate'

When rows are updated new versions are created. They are later removed by
purge thread - only then no active transactions may need them. This is why
long open transactions are expensive.

> And I don't how to understanding 'open transaction'?

This is transaction which is started (opened) but not yet ended by commit or
rollback.

> Required for logical level replication to work properly.
>
> What's the meaning about logical level replication?

MySQL has statement level, also caused logical as well as row based
replication.   statement level replication requires updates to be
serializable to work.

> Can give problems for portable applications if you port from MySQL-4.0 to
> later
>
> What's the meaning about this sentence?

This means you can run into the problems if you upgrade from MySQL 4.0 to
later version. Probably is not much relevant any more.

--
Peter Zaitsev, CEO, Percona Inc.
Tel: +1 888 401 3401 ext 501   Skype:  peter_zaitsev

Percona Training Workshops
http://www.percona.com/training/