A few things to keep in mind:

1: the master may have several threads feeding into the binlog at a time,
but a slave only executes in a single thread.  Are you throwing more stuff
at the slave in multiple mysql threads?

2: is there something else going on with the slave box?  some big backup or
gzip or something that would chew up cycles?  any big mysql query or update
going on?

3: have you checked the disks on your slave.  Whenever I notice a slave
falling behind for an extended period of time, I ask the sys admins to check
the disk drives - if you're using some kind of RAID, they can become
degraded.

4: you might also check the slave's mysql error log to see if there's any
hint there.