At 7:00 PM -0700 6/12/01, Martin Scherer wrote:
>I purchased the mysql msql book from O'Reilly as well as another
>mysql book with a CD.  I loaded the 3.22 versions to a windows and
>also to a  Linux machine.  It took me quite a while to determine
>where the files were located on the Linux machine as the
>installation process was done by CD.  I finally found them at
>/var/lib/mysql/mysql.
>I have been trying to follow the instructions  and am able to
>initiate safe_mode.  Using ps aux, I see that I am indeed up and
>running.  However when I try any commands ie. mysqladmin -p create
>database or show databases I am told that mysqladmin is not an
>understood command .  I know that I am not doing something correctly
>but reading several texts and following examples has not gotten me
>anywhere.  Can you point me in the right direction.   I am not new
>to SQL or databases and I have had a semester of Linux 2 years ago
>but this has me stumped.  Your help is appreciated.
>Martin

safe_mode?  Do you mean safe_mysqld?

If mysqladmin isn't an understood command, it means either that it's
not installed anywhere on your system, or that your shell doesn't know
where to find it.  If you know that it is indeed installed, then you
should be able to invoke it using its full pathname (e.g., something
like:

% /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin -p create database

But you'll be better off adding that directory to your PATH variable.

If mysqladmin really isn't installed, then it sounds to me like you may
as well skip the CD that came with the book and use the RPMs from the
MySQL site.

Paul DuBois, [EMAIL PROTECTED]