On 31/03/2010 16:52, Tompkins Neil wrote:
Hi

I have the following fulltext search which appears to work fine for string
phrases.  However if I search like just "51" which is part of the string
name like 51 Blue Widget in the table it doesn't return any results.
However if I search like "bl" it returns the 51 Blue Widget result.  My
query is as follows :

SELECT  Name MATCH (Name) AGAINST ('51*') as Relevance
FROM Products
WHERE MATCH (Name) AGAINST ('51*' IN BOOLEAN MODE)
ORDER BY Relevance DESC

Any ideas what the problem might be ?

"51" is too short to be included in the index by default, so will never match. "Blue", on the other hand, is indexed and therefore is returned by a search.

The default minimum word length is four characters. See http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/fulltext-fine-tuning.html for more information on how to change that if necessary.

Mark