Ciao!

>I am new to both Linux and MySQL. I used the source to
>compile MySQL on Linux 7.0 with the default options.
>It's working fine.

What's Linux 7.0? :-)

>But can i change the data directory where all the
>databases are stored to something other than the
>default, without having to compile again?

Well, you could use a symbolic link, if you don't wanna compile it.
Otherwise, which is better and wiser, just put this line in the /etc/my.cnf
file.

[mysqld]
datadir=/usr/local/mysql/var

Obviously, change the path! ;-)

Ciao
-Gabriele

Gabriele Bartolini - Computer Programmer
U.O. Rete Civica - Comune di Prato
Prato - Italia - Europa
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.po-net.prato.it