Been there, done that. It's a maintenance nightmare.

Another idea: Have a separate "deleted" table with the IDs of the rows that you consider deleted. Re-write your queries to do a left-join-not-in-the-other-table agains the "delete" table. Then, either wait for a maintenance window to delete the rows both the original table and the "delete" table. Or remove just a few rows at a time.

The "deleted" table can be created with just a read lock on the original table, and since it's going to be fairly small, the impact of stuffing it with data is not going to be great.

It's a bit of a hassle to set up, but once done you don't have to worry about creating and deleting tables every day.

/ Carsten

mos skrev:
It looks like you only want to keep the current data, perhaps the current day's worth, and delete the old data.

I would store the data in separate MySIAM tables, each table would represent a date, like D20100413 and D20100414. Your program will decide which table to insert the data into by creating a current date variable and now all data gets inserted to the table named by that variable. When the older data is no longer needed, just drop the table. If you want to keep the last 7 days of data, create a merge table of the last 7 tables. When you drop the oldest table, redefine the merge table. You can accomplish all this in just milliseconds.

Mike