The impact of swap activity on performance is dependent on the rate at
which things are being swapped and the speed of swapping.  A few pages
per second probably won't kill things but in this case it was swapping
hundreds of pages per second which killed performance. Disks are much
slower than ram.

In my environment mysqld_safe will failover the cluster if it detects
mysqld has crashed so I prefer the quick crash and failover to the
long period of slow response time. Many operators prefer the long slow
response time, I don't but it's a religious debate.

--
Eric Bergen
eric.ber...@gmail.com