Hello.

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 08:39:59PM -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Thanks for the reply
>
> Conducting a 'find' does not turn up the mysql.sock file anywhere on my
> server.  Is there any reason why the installation would not create this
> file?

That may sound like a stupid question, but are you absolutely sure
that MySQL is running? Most people reporting a missing socket file
simply don't have MySQL running for the one or another reason.

If it runs and you did not start it with --skip-networking, try
connecting by specifying -hyour_database_host. This will use a TCP/IP
socket instead. If this works, you can look with

mysqladmin -hyour_database_host variables

where the MySQL daemon thinks that the socket should be. If it's not
there you may want to simply restart your server.

Bye,

        Benjamin.