Hi,
I think you can get only no. of transactions happned on the database since
it was started.

By using  command "show status" ;  variable "Questions" will give value of
no. of transactions happened on the database since database was started.

But there is way u can use, as I used to calculate query executed per
second.

> time=10
> orig=`mysql -e "show status" | awk '{if ($1 == "Questions") print $2}'`
> sleep $time
> last=`mysql -e "show status" | awk '{if ($1 == "Questions") print $2}'`
> diff=`expr $last - $orig`
> avg=`expr $diff / $time`
> echo "$avg"

Thanks,