Hi,

I have the problem that i have to backup several databases who include a mix of
InnoDB- and MyISAM-tables.
I'd like to use mysqldump. The manpage proposes different options for MyISAM-
and InnoDB-tables. What is about --single-transaction ? --single-transaction is
recommend for InnoDB-tables. MyISAM-tables are not dumped in a consistent state
using this option, so it's not the optimum for my scenario. Is
--single-transaction a recommendation for InnoDB-tables or is it a must ?

What is about --lock-all-tables ? The manpage says --single-transaction is a
much better option for InnoDB-tables (see above). But does --lock-all-tables
work with InnoDB-tables ? The manpage also says: "This is achieved by acquiring
a global read lock for the duration of the whole dump." Does that mean that
also reading is locked, or does it mean that it is locked to enable reading ?
Currently i have the impression that --lock-all-tables is the better way for me
dumping databases including both types of tables.

Thanks for any answer.

Bernd