If PHP is compiled with its own MySQL support (as compared to using the
MySQL shared libraries - which are not in every MySQL distribution) it
expects mysql.sock to be in /tmp - whereas recent versions of MySQL put it
in /var/lib/mysql/. PHP will find it if you add "mysql.default_socket =
/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock" to php.ini (at least for PHP4) - or you could
just set up a symlink from /tmp/mysql.sock (which you might have to recreate
on reboot if your system flushes /tmp), or you can specify where mysql.sock
will go in my.cnf.

Whit