Eh? Backticks merely permit use of reserved words as identifiers.

PB

-----

On 5/26/2010 9:56 AM, Kevin Baynes wrote:

The problem occurs because the parameter names are the same as the column
names. I'm not sure why, since the columns are specified in quotes, but it does.

Thanks,

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Baynes [mailto:kbay...@bluezonesoftware.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 10:07 AM
To: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Impossible Out Param Return Value

Using MySql 5.1, I have a very simple table with 1 row. I have a Stored
Procedure to select if the row exists. I expect the test of this SP to return
null, but it returns a value! The value is always returned if the 'path'
matches, regardless of the other values being tested. If the 'path' does not
match, it returns NULL as expected. Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks,
Kevin

--
Full explanation below:
--

Table 'file_detail' with 1 row:

id_file_detail, id_file, id_machine, id_user, path
1             , 1      , 1         , 1      , C:\Program Files\BlueZone

--
Stored Procedure to see if row exists:
--

DROP PROCEDURE IF EXISTS `find_file_detail`$$
CREATE PROCEDURE `find_file_detail`

     SELECT `id_file_detail`
     INTO keyOut
     FROM `file_detail`
     WHERE (`id_file` = id_file
         AND `id_machine` = id_machine
         AND `id_user` = id_user
         AND `path` = filePath)
     LIMIT 1;

END$$

--
SQL used to test the stored procedure:
--

SET @keyOut = NULL;
CALL find_file_detail(99,99,99,'C:\\Program Files\\BlueZone',@keyOut);

--

Notice there is 1 row, the values of 99 do not exist, but the path does exist.
This test will return @keyOut = 1. How is this possible?

If I change the path string to use 'BlueZone1' (so the paths do not match),
then this test will return @keyOut = NULL as expected. It seems as though the
only thing getting matched is the path and the other 3 values are being ignored.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Kevin Baynes
Senior Software Developer
Rocket Software