For those who think I'm off the wall, here's what's driving me up it:

Had MySQL doing replication through stunnel for many months, flawlessly,
using MySQL 3.23.27 on master and slave. Now going to MySQL 3.23.37 on
master and 3.23.38 on slave, it's broken.

MySQL has some inconsistent weirdness about ports and sockets that I'm
unclear on, and that may well be involved - for instance the mysql client on
the slave can see the tunneled master fine at the machine name of the slave,
but not at 'localhost' since then it ignores the port and just connects to
the mysqld on the localhost's socket. At the same time, mysqld on the slave
in 3.23.27 did fine with 'localhost' as the spec for where to connect.

Now, mysqld on the slave gets its login rejected if it tries to connect with
the master via the local machine name with the tunnelled port. (This despite
the fact that the mysql client can log in just fine with the same user and
password via the tunnel.) The login appears to be accepted if it goes to
'localhost' - but I'm coming to suspect that it may be having the same
problem the mysql client has always had (but mysqld did not) of actually
connecting to the local daemon rather than the tunnelled one, since it gives
errors like:

010613 12:04:45  Slave: Failed reading log event, reconnecting to retry, log 'FIRST'
position 4
010613 12:04:45  Slave: reconnected to master 'ftp@localhost:3307',replication resumed
in log 'FIRST' at position 4
010613 12:04:45  Error reading packet from server: Binary log is not open (read_errno
0,server_errno=2000)

- This when I know the binary log is open and being written to on the master.

Whit