In infinite wisdom Brent Clark <brentgclarkl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> All servers are in datacentres. Im not 100% sure if its latency related,
> but I see a load or SLEEP when I do mysqladin proc, which appears to be
> hogging mysql.
>
> My question is. Would adjusting timeout values address this problem.

The main causes of sleeping threads are
- applications that call mysql_pconnect
- apps do not close their mysql connections once they are done with their tasks.
- apps that open a connection, run a query, do some magic or go to sleep
and then run some queries again.

> I was thinking of using / setting these values.
> [mysqld]
> set-variable    = connect_timeout=20
> set-variable    = wait_timeout=20
> set-variable    = interactive_timeout=20
> set-variable    = net_write_timeout=20

This will be OK if you have only apps that do point [1] and [2] of the
above.  If you have apps that do [3], they will throw an error when they
see that the mysql server has closed their connection.

--
Raj Shekhar
-