On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 11:59 PM, Götz Reinicke - IT-Koordinator
<goetz.reini...@filmakademie.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we do have different LAMP systems and recently I started to put some
> mysql databases on one, new master server. (RedHat, Fredora, MySQL 4.x -
> 5.0.xx)

MySQL 4.X is EOL. I strongly suggest not using it for new projects, if
you have the option. If possible, MySQL 5.1 is recommended,

> I did this by exporting some databases with mysqldump and importing tham
> on the new server.
>
> Now I'd like to add a slave mysqlserver and so I started to read some
> docs from the web and manuals from addison-wesley but some questions do
> remain or occur.
>
> What is the best way to "copy" the databases from the master to the
> slave? I thought that I can shut down the master and copie the database
> directory to the slave and than go on with the config, restarting the
> servers, etc.
>
> Doing so, do I have to lock any InnoDB tables or anything else? (May be
> I missunderstand some docs...)

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are doing, but shutting down
the master instance will make it inaccessible until it is restarted.

Please read http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/replication-howto.html
.  That document has the basics right, other than snapshoting. In
terms of getting a snapshot, if you have a innodb only instance*
(which is good idea), and can stop ddl commands, you can use mysqldump
with the master-data and single-transaction flags in order to take a
non-blocking dump suitable for replication use. For MyISAM only
instances FLUSH TABLES WITH READ LOCK can be used. The easiest way to
make a snapshot is to shut down the master instance and make a copy of
the data files. When you restart the master make note of which binary
log file it starts to write to.

*Other than the mysql schema, of course.

> So far I only copied a few databases from the different servers to the
> new master.
>
> The second "big" question is: How to add new databases to the master
> after sucessfully running a master-slave-setup? Will the new database be
> copied/created on the slave automatically? Or do I have to create tham
> twice?

New databases will be automatically created. Once you have the Master
setup with binary logging you can inspect what it will have have the
slave execute by using the mysqlbinlog command on the log files or the
SHOW EVENT (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/show-events.html)
syntax.

--
Rob Wultsch