Grant Peel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently migrated a script called perldesk from mysql 4 to mysql 5.
>
> When I envoke the script from the web, I am now getting an error. I suspect
> its a version syntax thing.
>
> Here is what I see:
>
> Couldn't execute statement: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the
> manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to
> use near 'call = '1307' ORDER BY id' at line 1; stoppedContent-type:
> text/html
>

>       PerlDesk: Script Error
>
>       Perldesk was unable to launch due to the following errors:
>
>       1 at include/staff_subs.cgi line 1401.
>

> line 1401 is the third line below:
>

>         $statemente = 'SELECT * FROM notes WHERE call = ? ORDER BY id;';
>         $sth = $dbh->prepare($statemente) or die print "Couldn't prepare
> statement:$DBI::errstr; stopped";
>         $sth->execute($trackedcall) or die print "Couldn't execute statement:
> $DBI::errstr; stopped";

WTF?  If this sample is indicative of the quality of the rest of
PerlDesk, I'd seriously reconsider allowing it anywhere near my servers
until a full review of the code was performed.

> Any help on how to fix this would be appreciated,

I'd recommend that you either contact the vendor for support or forgo
upgrading mysql.  I assume that the software was tested with mysql 4 so
you probably should continue to use that until you get a version of the
software that supports mysql 5. You might fix this one problem, but who
knows what other incompatibilities are lurking in the code (and will
bite you at the worst possible time)

-r