A data dictionary, as the term is generally used, is what is contained
in INFORMATION_SCHEMA.  It is meta data describing the types and names
and structure of the data within a given domain.

Python's concept of a dictionary is what other language call a hash
(perl), an associative array (awk,php) or a Map (Java/JVM).  None of
them implement 'data dictionaries' as the term is used.

 - md

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Jay Blanchard <jblanch...@pocket.com> wrote:
> [snip]
> Perhaps I have a conflict of terms here, but my googling "mysql data
> dictionary" turned up material that didn't seem to correspond with my
> problem. In python I can create dictionaries:
> my_dict = {'1': 'one', '2': 'two'}
> Now, I would like to create the equivalent of an enum in which I could
> utilize data like that. Of course, I could lump the whole key-value
> pairs
> into one data and create an enum like that, then parse them later. I'm
> just
> wondering if there's a more elegant way to do this.
> [/snip]
>
> There is an enumerated type
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/enum.html and there are data
> dictionaries
> http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/mysql-datadictionary.html
> but neither are really what you want.
>
> Actually what you're describing the reason that we have databases in the
> first place - the ability to have data in one column ('1') related to
> data in another column ('one') in a record. The most elegant way of
> using a database is to use it as it was designed.
>
> --

 - michael dykman
 - mdyk...@gmail.com

 May the Source be with you.