Ok... I solved my mistery of the slow 22G table.... rebuild the kernel to
support memory and now things are working.

But still quite slow.

I do sum() operations over the 22G table. I'm using the latest version of
mysql 4... (I WILL migrate soon, I promise), one thing I have notice, is
that operations over that 22G table, seasuring the I/O with iostat never
surpass the 23mb/s for reading... even if I test the IO of the array, it can
easily give me 300mb/s for reads... and like 150 for random reads...

first of all, is there any way to squeeze more speed out from mysql 4?
No... I imagined that...

So, my next step is migate to a newer version of mysql ( YEY ^_^  )... I
have read a few about partitions.

The specific query I'm making is a query which do a sum filtered over a date
field.

What would be the best approach to partition this table?

Can I mix innodb with partioned tables and still have acid compliance?

The split in several partitions creates more lecture threads  or how
parelelization over partitions works?

And last, does mysql 4 support partitions? XD

tia.