On 7/19/2010 11:08 AM, Shawn Green (MySQL) wrote:
Just because someone hands you a set of data to *start* with, does not mean that you must only use that data to *work* with.

You should be able create additional tables derived from the original data and work with those as part of your analysis project. No modification of the original *tables* will be required.

But this would indeed be much easier to talk about if your columns had names.

And that's okay, having to create temporary tables to work with. What I meant was, I can't go back to the client and tell them their schema is really messed up and to store their data differently. I know I can create additional tables to work with, and ultimately that may indeed happen.