You'll see exactly that error if you type the default date "0000-00-00"
*without* the quotes.  If you included the quotes, then something is
quite odd indeed.  This is such a basic statement in the book that
you can be sure any error would have been reported by now.

What version of MySQL are you using, and on what platform?

--
Paul DuBois, [EMAIL PROTECTED]