From: "Marc Guay" <marc.g...@gmail.com>
To: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2010 12:44:17 AM
Subject: Table which can reference a number of other tables

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding database design, I hope that this is
appropriate for the list.  Let's say that I have the following tables:

clients (id,name)
contacts (id, name, phone, client_id (FK))

companies (id, name)
employees (id, name, phone, company_id (FK))

logins (id, username, password)

What's the best way to connect contacts and employees to the logins
table?  I've thought of duplicating the username & password fields
into both the contacts and employees tables, adding both contact_id
and employee_id foreign keys to the logins table, and adding login_id
foreign keys to the contacts and employees tables, but none of these
solutions seem very smart.

Thanks,
Marc

Best Regards,
Cuongmc.

--
Nguyen Manh Cuong
Phong Ky Thuat - Cong ty Vien Thong So - VTC