I had to do this trick with a few million rows in the table, and what
I did was to create a new table with the required structure, then did
"insert into select from", starting with the newest data first, cause
that made sense for my application. Then, renamed the old table and the
new.

YMMV
andu

Jigal van Hemert wrote:
Daevid Vincent wrote:
We currently have some tables that are approaching 1 BILLION rows (real
Billion, with nine zeros, not that silly six zero version). Trying to do an
"ALTER" on them to add a column can sometimes take hours.

--
Andy Wallace
iHOUSEweb, Inc.