In regards to this issue, I submitted a bug.

http://bugs.mysql.com/56157

nixofortune wrote:
Hi ALL,
I just start using Workbench 5.2.26 CE and this is a problem I have.
When I try to run a query with a case statement, columns with datetime Type shown as "BLOB" in output window. To see the output data I have to right click inside of the cell, choose "Open Value in Viewer" and see text.
Example:
case
when dda.cancelled_on is null then ''
when dda.cancelled_on is not null then dda.cancelled_on
end as 'Cancelled On',

Should produce cells with a date of cancelled operation, but it returns "blob" icons where the dates should be. If I try to Export data as CSV file, the fileds with 'blob' icon instead of the real datetime data are empty. The code works nicely in MySQL monitor or PhPMyAdmin with properly formated CSV exports,
It could be some View option that I missed or Bug in the Workbench.
Has anybody experienced similar Workbench behavior, any ideas?
Thanks.
Igor