I have a requirement to keep track of a set of data, and all changes that might occur. In order to do this, for each field of the data set, I've created a table that keeps track of the version, the value, the time the change was made, and a linking number that links all the different tables back to a single record. I'm assuming, hoping, and believe this is a very common setup.

What I'm having trouble with is queries that aren't nested sub-selects, or joins that won't show NULL data. For example ...

select rsi.value, rsi.record_id, ssn.value as serviceseqnum, esn.value as eventseqnum from record_set_id as rsi LEFT JOIN serviceseqnum as ssn ON rsi.record_id = ssn.record_id LEFT JOIN eventseqnum as esn ON ssn.record_id = esn.record_id

Will join the tables, but doesn't take the version information into consideration. If I add a where to include the maximum version, to get the most recent value, it won't show anything if one of the values happens to be NULL.

Using sub-selects generally causes long query time ...

select rsi.value, rsi.record_id ( select value from serviceseqnum where record_id = rsi.record and version = ( select max(version) from serviceseqnum where record_id = rsi.record_id ) ) from record_set_id ) from record_set_id as rsi

... especially when trying to get a dozen values strung together so they appear as one record.

Is there a better way to handle these queries that I'm just not thinking of?

Jacob