From: Michael Stroh [mailto:st...@astroh.org]
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2010 4:39 PM
To: MySql
Subject: Nested join query?

Hello everyone. I'm trying to perform a query that acts on 3 tables at once.
I'm thinking I need to produce a set of joins between all three tables to
get the results that I want, but am not sure how to go about it with nesting
or maybe there's even a better way. I need to check TableC for cases where
the State is set to 'Yes' and then find the Num fields in TableB that
correspond to the matching IDs between the two. I currently have a query
that performs a right join on the two that will give me the results.

The problem is that I now have this single column table (TableBC listed
below) from the first query that I then need to perform a query on TableA to
find the matching records. I'd like to make this into a single query but am
not sure the proper way to combine them all or how to perform a join on the
values in this temporary table that I'm using.

TableA
Val     Num
1         2
2         3
3         3
4         4
5         4
6         7
7         3

TableB
Num    ID
1          1
2          2
3          1
4          2
5          1
6          1
7          4
8          3
9          5

TableC
ID      State
1        No
2        Yes
3        No
4        Yes
5        No

Currently to get the single column list from TableB and TableC that I want
to use to query TableA, I'm using:

SELECT `TableB`.`Num` FROM `TableC` RIGHT JOIN `TableB` ON `TableC`.`ID` =
`TableB`.`ID` WHERE (`TableC`.`State` LIKE 'Yes') GROUP BY `TableB`.`Num`
ORDER BY `TableB`.`ID`

It is possible to have multiple instances of Num in TableB, that is why I'm
also doing some groupings. In this simplified example, the result I get from
this query is:

TableBC
Num
2
4
7

And the preferred result once I add in TableA would be:

TableABC
Val
1
4
5
6

So I believe the problem is now is how to insert or merge this into a query
that will look for the results in TableA that I'm really interested in. It
looks to be similar to the query I've already performed, but I'm not sure
how to perform a join like this since I'm referencing a column that only
exists in this temporary table that is being built and I don't want to
accidentally reference the fields in TableB or TableC.

Thanks in advance!

Michael