Just kidding! But it seems that way...

Indexing a 7 million row VARCHAR(255) table took ~12 minutes on my Athlon
1.33Ghz w/512MB.
Indexing a 77 million row VARCHAR(255) table has taken 9 DAYS, and still
hasn't finished.

Obviously this isn't a linearly scaling operation, but it is seeming
dang near exponential at the moment.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Should it be taking this long?
MySQL rips through the first few million rows, but after that it seems to
slow to a near halt.

Please don't tell me this will take twice the age of the universe to
finish...

Thx,
-robin