On Mon, 6 Sep 2010 06:36:02 -0400 (EDT), "Robert P. J. Day"
<rpj...@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> no, i don't want to start a flame war, i just want some feedback on
> a current list of mysql "drawbacks" WRT postgresql.
>
>   in the context of a fully open-source, java based ECM product, there
> is a FAQ entry that summarizes why the developers would prefer their
> users to use postgresql as opposed to mysql:
>
> http://www.nuxeo.org/xwiki/bin/view/FAQ/WhyAvoidMySQL

There are a few odd criticisms, such as the limitation on VARCHAR fields
(haven't they discovered TEXT/BLOB types?). Also, some of their
expectations seem very specific to their own implementation (I've
personally never had to do 15 levels of cascade delete).

But within the particular context they describe, I'd say that overall they
are being fair.

Many, many other CMSs are very succesful with MySQL implementations, so if
you already have a marked preference for working with MySQL, you might want
to look at other products before making a decision. Having read that page,
I know I would.

/ Carsten