[JS] Thanks --- I think. I realize that left out some crucial details, and
also made a mistake when posing my example. Let me use some more suggestive
field names.

UPDATE `prod` JOIN `prod_price` ON `prod`.`prod_id` = `prod_price`.`prod_id`
   JOIN `pub` ON `prod`.`pub_id` = `pub`.`pub_id`
SET `prod`.`prod_changed` = 1,
   `prod_price`.`prod_price_tax` = .7
WHERE `pub`.`pub_id `IN ('x', 'y', 'z')
   AND `prod_price`.`prod_price_curr` = 'yen';

- `prod`.`prod_id` is a unique key for `prod`, but is not unique in
`prod_price`
- `pub`.`pub_id` is a unique key for `pub`, but is not unique in `prod`

Assume that

- For `pub`.`pub_id` = 'x' we match 3 rows in `prod`:
    * `prod`.`prod_id` = 'a'
    * `prod`.`prod_id` = 'b'
    * `prod`.`prod_id` = 'c'

- For `pub`.`pub_id` = 'y' we match 5 rows in `prod`:
    * `prod`.`prod_id` = 'm'
    * `prod`.`prod_id` = 'n'
    * `prod`.`prod_id` = 'o'

- For `pub`.`pub_id` = 'z' we match 2 rows in `prod`:
    * `prod`.`prod_id` = 'q'
    * `prod`.`prod_id` = 'r

That should give us a total of 10 rows for this part of our search. Now assume
that

- For each value of `prod`.`prod_id` there are 2 matching rows in
`prod_price`, BUT for each value of `prod`.`prod_price` only one row matches
the WHERE condition `prod_price`.`prod_price_curr` = 'yen'. For that reason we
have a 1:1 relationship between the rows in `prod` and the remaining rows from
`prod_price`.

So are you saying that the count of rows selected would be

3 x 10 x 10

even though the actual number of rows we're working on is only 10 (10 rows
from `prod` and 1 row from `prod_price` for each row from `prod`)?

I know that when it reports the number of rows affected, it adds up the
numbers from each table; but a SELECT based upon the criteria used in my
UPDATE reports the number of records I would expect.