Both have benefits.

Application level:

   - data is encrypted during transmit, too
   - processing is offloaded from your hard-to-scale database server
   - decrypt keys don't pass your database, so dba or other users can't peek

DB

   - Guaranteed consistent implementation regardless of client

Can't think of other benefits of DB-side encryption, offhand :-) I would go
for the app-side every time. Let the database worry about managing the data,
don't bother it with application stuff.

--
Bier met grenadyn
Is als mosterd by den wyn