From: Ramsey, Robert L [mailto:robert-ram...@uiowa.edu]
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2010 7:10 AM
To: [MySQL]
Subject: multiple aliases

I have a query with three subselects, all referencing the same table.  I'd
like to be able to combine them into one with aliases.

Here's what I have now:

select letter_codename,
(select greek from letter_otherlanguages where letter ='A') as greek,
(select french from letter_otherlanguages where letter ='A') as french,
(select german from letter_otherlanguages where letter ='A') as german
from intl_codes where letter='A';

I'd like to replace it with:

select letter_codename,
(select greek, french, german from letter_otherlanguages where letter ='A')
as (greek, french, german)
from intl_codes where letter='A';

Don't get hung up on the tables and structures, this is just a simple
example.  :)  I want to use the three subselects because if I use a left
join, the processing time goes from .4 to 5 seconds.

Is this possible?

Thanks!