Thanks for the reply Jesper, but either there isn't a solution in your
response, or I'm missing it?

Any user can get into mysql, it's what they can do after that's the
interesting part.

I used your GRANT example above and get this...

develo...@mypse:~$ mysql
Your MySQL connection id is 2275
Server version: 5.0.51a-3ubuntu5.7 (Ubuntu)
(develo...@localhost) [(none)]> SELECT * FROM mysql.time_zone_name;
+----------------------------------------+--------------+
| Name                                   | Time_zone_id |
+----------------------------------------+--------------+
| Africa/Abidjan                         |            1 |
| Africa/Accra                           |            2 |
| Africa/Addis_Ababa                     |            3 |
| Africa/Algiers                         |            4 |

But then when I try an existing user that I use for all my PHP/DB
connections:

develo...@mypse:~$ mysql -uOMT_Master -pSOMEPASS -hmypse -P3306 agis_core
(omt_mas...@mypse) [agis_core]> SELECT * FROM mysql.time_zone_name;
ERROR 1142 (42000): SELECT command denied to user
'OMT_Master'@'mydomain.com' for table 'time_zone_name'

Here's the current user's I have in my VM so far:

SELECT `User`, `Host` FROM mysql.user;

User              Host
----------------  ----------
                  %
%                 %
OMT_Master        %
OMT_Web           %
View_ReadOnly     %
developer         %
diagnostics       %
diagnostics       10.10.10.%
root              127.0.0.1
                  localhost
debian-sys-maint  localhost
root              localhost

At this point of frustration, unless someone has a way to do this -- which
seems like it should be a pretty straight forward thing to do -- I'll just
add this particular OMT_Master user to have this particular table's SELECT
GRANT. Or am I missing something?