MySQL List,

I'm running Ubuntu 10.10, and I have a LAMP server which is not connected to
the internet, but is just used for locally creating and testing web sites.

MySQL does not seem to be running, however. Check out the output from these
commands:

~$ sudo service mysql start
mysql start/running
~$ ps -ef | grep mysql
dave     23043 22341  0 23:57 pts/0    00:00:00 grep mysql

If I understand these outputs, it says MySQL is running when I start it up,
but, after that, if I look for the process, it doesn't show up as
running.

When I run any of my local web sites that rely on MySQL, they don't work, so I
guess the final verdict is that MySQL isn't on.

But, without any error when I try to start it, I'm not sure how to diagnose the
problem.

I tried purging then re-installing MySQL, but that didn't change anything.

Any ideas on what else I could try?

Thank you for any advice.

-- Dave M G