I have two of Paul's books and they are excellent.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul DuBois" <paul.dub...@oracle.com>
To: "[MySQL] Mysql list" <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
Cc: "MikeB" <mpbr...@gmail.com>; "Philip Riebold" <p.rieb...@ucl.ac.uk>
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2010 1:45 PM
Subject: Re: SQL book recommendation?

On Oct 26, 2010, at 6:31 AM, Philip Riebold wrote:

On 26 Oct 2010, at 11:49, MikeB wrote:

I'm finding the MySQL online manuals hard going in figuring out how to construct SQL queries. Can anyone perhaps recommend a good book that can shed light on the subject?

Thanks.

The book I've been using is 'MySQL, The definitive guide to using, programming, and administering MySQL 4.1 and 5.0' ISBN 0-672-32673-6 (there may be a more recent version).

If that's my book, it sounds like the third edition. The fourth edition is more recent. http://www.kitebird.com/mysql-book/

Well written, with a general introduction to SQL and (from my POV) very good sections on writing MySQL with C and PHP

--
TTFN.

  Philip Riebold, p.rieb...@ucl.ac.uk       /"\
  Media Services                            \ /
  University College London                  X  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
  Windeyer Building, 46 Cleveland Street    / \ Against HTML Mail
  London, W1T 4JF
  +44 (0)20 7679 9259 (direct), 09259 (internal)

--
Paul DuBois
Oracle Corporation / MySQL Documentation Team